Who We Are
Incorporated in 2001, the Science and Environment Council (SEC) of Southwest Florida is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit coalition of the leading science-based environmental non-profit and government organizations in Sarasota and Manatee Counties. Our mission is to increase science-based environmental understanding, conservation and restoration through collaboration and public engagement in Southwest Florida.
What We Do
As a coalition of important environmental, science and cultural organizations, SEC serves local governmental, educational, and economic agencies by utilizing the experiences and institutional knowledge of SEC members. SEC is a leader in Southwest Florida, convening discussions, informing policy and enhancing public awareness about science-based conservation and sustainable practices to protect and restore our natural environment.
- Develop interactive programs among members to improve effectiveness in helping the public understand the role and use of science in solving local conservation and environmental problems.
- Work together in a non-partisan way to increase awareness among decision-makers about the need to use sound science, conservation, and environmental principles in decision-making.
- Collaborate to educate students and adults on advancements in science that enhance our knowledge about conservation and environmental issues.
- Share knowledge, experience, programming, and facilities for more efficient use of resources and funds.
- Promote member programs and collaborating on enhanced exhibits and activities to better engage the community through a variety of educational and recreational experiences.
- Build partnerships with the for-profit sector on projects that further the mission.